Price too much for a single license

Post comments and suggestions for RoboTask here
BrianSmith

Post by BrianSmith »

As much as I have enjoyed using Robo Task over the last couple of months I am discontinuing use as my trial period has expired and 100 US dollars is just too much to pay for this software. I would gladly pay 50-60 US dollars but $100 is just too much. It is a fantastic piece of software that I have come to rely on a lot. I will keep my eye out for any promotional offers in the future that may offer discounts, so until then keep up the good work. I will continue to help users and make suggestions on this forum to help develop some really cool Robo Tasks.
Last edited by BrianSmith on Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexeySurkis

Post by AlexeySurkis »

From today until September 1st, anyone may purchase RoboTask with a 50% discount.

:-)
Last edited by AlexeySurkis on Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I don't think $100 is unreasonable at all.  Even though I've encountered a number of limitatations and difficulties, purchasing this software was very easy to justify.
With about a dozen new fuctions focusing on:
Cleaning data / translating characters:
-Tranlating text strings in variables and/or on the clipboard... (ie. ignore line breaks, change all non-windows filename compliant characters (/,:,;,#,$, etc.) to something else.
-Manipulating text...(ie.. let is key in excel-style functions like {MID{VARIABLENAME},{STARTCHAR},{NOCHARS}})
FTP
-FTP Synchronize
-SFTP
Email
-Recieving Email messages with the option for storing "Subject" strings.
-loops based on body text.
File Loops:
-We need a GoTo Line #s for text files.  I'm currently counting the lines to get the same effect, but simple goto options would save tons of computing time
I could probably come up with a few more if I thought about it longer.
There are a few odd things I've been findng with the NT Service, but hopefully Oleg can resolve those for me.
Given that, and even a reasonable number of the features I've listed above (especially the goto and text manipulations) and Robotask could very well justify a much higher pricetag.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Tranlating text strings in variables and/or on the clipboard... (ie. ignore line breaks, change all non-windows filename compliant characters (/,:,;,#,$, etc.) to something else.
There is macrofunction "ValidFileName".

We added some of your suggestions on todo list.
Last edited by Oleg on Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Oleg, I've had good luck with the {Validfilename()} variable.  Just what I was looking for.
I'll write my accolades in the 'endorsements' string, since I'm now running most of the file management, renaming, delivery, and backup for about USD 750,000 worth of transcription files through Robotask, eliminating the need to hire a full-time manual processor and saving some USD 40K a year.  For a USD 100 software, I consider this extraordinary.  We've been using Bash scripts on our Linux servers for years to do these kinds of functions, but they've been difficult in the Windows environment that some of our clients still cling to.
Anyway, a few new suggestions:
1) Using Variables to create and remove variables.  For example, if I want to create fifty variables named {MYVAR01} through {MYVAR50} it would be nice to be able to do this with:
Create Variable {INC}, Loop {INC 1-50}, Create Variable {MYVAR{INC}}, EndLoop.
Even better still would be to be able to use composite variables right inside the text and file Loop functions. 
2) Being able to use wildcards as email attachments (and/or) being able to choose to send an email EVEN IF all the attachments cannot be found. 
Cheers,
-Brendan