System Tray Icon

Discuss RoboTask here
Dcast

System Tray Icon

Post by Dcast »

Hi,
I have a problem with RoboTask V3, running as a Service.
The service has been setup, with a domain-user/password (not the local system account), and Robotask (Options/setting/NT Service) has been setup with the same user.
But now my System tray Icon is gone, as soon as i change the Service to use Local System Account, it returns.
My reason for using a domainuser instead of the Local user, is that i have som automated processes that requires me to have Domain-credentials. (i do not wish to add domain-rights to the local account).
Is this normal behaviour or am i doing something wrong?
I have found, that making a batchfile, with these 2 commands: SET + Pause, shows me that running a program fram RoboTask, doesn't show logged on user or user domain (more variables are missing, but..).
Thanks,
/Michael
Oleg
Site Admin

System Tray Icon

Post by Oleg »

When you start any service under user account (not local SYSTEM) the service can't interact with desktop. This is property of Windows. So you can't see tray icon and main window.
If you want that your tasks can access to network resources you have to specify authentication parameters (Options/setting/NT Service). This is enough.

But spawned processes and bat files will have System credentials, because they inherit the environment from parent process (i.e. from RoboTask)

You can run RoboTask service under user account, but in this case RoboTask will work in absolutely autonomic mode.