Some issues found...

Discuss RoboTask here
legalaction

Some issues found...

Post by legalaction »

First of all, RoboTask is a great application and does what I want even though I'm no programmer ;-)But I found some things pretty strange and want to have them discussed here:- when exporting tasks to a removable media (USB-stick), RoboTask doesn't release the media that it can be removed securely. RT has to be shut down. Why?- when importing tasks from somewhere, the tasks are renamed to 'task (imported)'. Why? I use to run a task which starts some other tasks. When deleting tasks to (manually) import updated versions, all referrals to the task names in the 'Start Task' dialog were blanked out - with the result that these tasks will never start.- on my test box I had a task (circular event, watching a directory, doing TIFF2PDF conversion when files arrives) running for 2 days. Then I decided to cease this test. I  removed the task and restarted RT - with no task at all, just sitting idle...To my amazement I encountered TIFF2PDF conversion in the former watched directory even after removing the task AND restarting RT.What the hell causes RT to still run a task that isn't existent any longer? This left me baffled...- in my test environment (VMWare WS with 4 virtual appliances simulating local and remote machines) among others there's one task concatenating text files inserting page breaks just as you told me to do - works perfectly.When I exported all tasks and imported them on the machine where RT recently has to run, everything was working pretty well - except concatenating. Well, not generally - of course, page breaks were inserted, but I encountered one glitch resulting in some strange behavior:there is some garbage added to the very begin of the text file - the hex string 'D0CF11E0A1B11AE10D0A' causing refusal to be opened by a text viewer or by MS Word.No clue where it comes from.- how can I be sure that changes made to tasks (then imported on the target machine) really make an impact after a restart? What causes RT to  act differently on  a machine where tasks were imported rather than generated/added manually?Thanks for your support
Oleg
Site Admin

Some issues found...

Post by Oleg »

- when exporting tasks to a removable media (USB-stick), RoboTask doesn't release the media that it can be removed securely. RT has to be shut down. Why?
I haven't understood, what is the problem with your USB drive? RoboTask work with USB drive as well as with any disk: hard, floppy, USB, network. There is no difference.
- when importing tasks from somewhere, the tasks are renamed to 'task (imported)'. Why?
I use to run a task which starts some other tasks. When deleting tasks to (manually) import updated versions, all referrals to the task names in the 'Start Task' dialog were blanked out - with the result that these tasks will never start.
Any imported tasks is resetted to disabled status. You have to manually enabe it. This is necessary for safety. Maybe you need to change something in task after importing.
What the hell causes RT to still run a task that isn't existent any longer? This left me baffled...
This means that you have shuch task somewhere else. Maybe you have two copies of RoboTask: application and NT service. Check this please. Robotask can't start a nonexisting task.