"Enter" is pressed after a variable

Discuss RoboTask here
alconebay

Post by alconebay »

Here is my problem. I copy text from one window, assign the clipboard content to a variable (repeat those steps several times), go to another window and use "send keystrokes" to input the information assigned to the variables. However, after I put the text from the variable in the new window, the enter key is pressed and this closes my window. Why is the enter key automatically pressed after inputing information using a variable?
BertPruim

Post by BertPruim »

I have noticed this too and it's confusing...
My impression is that when using 'send keystrokes' that pressing enter in the window in which you create your commands also acts as one of the <CR> ('enter') commands. in other words the window that you enter your keystrokes in is not huge. you create a number of sequential keystrokes, but in order for it all to be more overseeable, by the time you reach the right hand isde of the window you press enter (and not <CR> symbol appears when you do so) to go to the next line and keep on entering keystrokes.... the problem now is that there is a 'stray' enter command in your sequence of keystrokes that causes unpredicatble behaviour. I owuld suggest that Oleg changes the keystroke input window to show <CR> every time you press enter.... Oleg?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

When you copy some text from any text editor you should remember that if you comy the whole string (with end of string) you copy symbol "Carriage Return" too. RoboTask process this as Enter key. Also I know that some applications add symbol <CR> forcedly, when user puts some text into clipboard.

If you want only to fill some edit field in dialog box try to use "Sent as simple text" option of "Send keystroke" action. In this case RoboTask will send only a sequence of characters into field and will not emulate key presses.