’send keystrokes’ problem in MS Excel

Discuss RoboTask here
BertPruim

Post by BertPruim »

Hi. My first posting...
Search of forum reveals I may not be the first with this problem BUT I can't see a clear solution.
When sending keystrokes to Excel it appears that Robotask presses the keys 'too long'.
If in Excel one physically/normally presses e.g. the down arrow button for too long then rather than skipping one cell down, one would skip several cells down.  
When in Robotask I action a 'send keystroke' 'down arrow' i skip 2 cells down rather than one!!!
Another example is when I send Ctrl-F keystroke, then enter a string and then ENTER, because Robotask's send keystroke action pushes the enter button for too long (long enough for the enter button to carry out two conseq actions), not only do i action the find action but I skip one cell down.
I note that one of the other macro automation programs has a 'send SHORT keystroke' action. This would likely solve the problem.
Is there a work around in Robotask for this problem?
Are there others that have had this same problem?
Is this a problem only in Excel or are there other applications in which people have had this occur?
I was puzzled about this apparent bug for a night or two and then worked it out - what a sneaky little bug :).
Your thoughts please!
Bert
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

What does mean 'too long'? Vice versa sometimes we have to insert pauses between sending keystrokes in order to give some time to application for processing the keys.
I've just tried the task with searching the string in Excel (Ctrl-F, some string, enter). The task works very fast.
BertPruim

Post by BertPruim »

Dear Oleg, Thank you for you reply.
Guess what, I think I know what caused the 'sticky key' problem.
I use remote desktop to log into my work computer at night. So I am running robotask essentially remotely. The 'sticky key' problem is probably because when using remote desktop dpending on one's connection speed, key press actions occur in slow motion!
I've tried to generate the error when connected normally to my computer and it doesn't occur!
Sorry. Cheers, Bert 
Vego

Post by Vego »

I ran into a similar problem and decided to increase/insert 3-18 second pauses between actions. If you run an automated process and you're not watching than the time spent dosn't matter as much as long as it is consistent.
Ncubillas

Post by Ncubillas »

I think the problem is…

When you are in the “send keystrokes” window, you type the commands you want to send, and it’s supposed to work ok.
But if wile writing the commands, you press “Enter” key, it will send and extra “Enter”
I work all day with Robotask, automating processes. I mainly use it with Excel.

Best Regards,