GoTo Action Made Dynamic

Post comments and suggestions for RoboTask here
Zac

GoTo Action Made Dynamic

Post by Zac »

Hello,

A suggestion I thought of would be to make it so that the GoTo Action keeps to the step it was originally chosen to go to when editing. Reason I'm adding this is that I'm constantly forgetting to change what it's looking at if I add steps between the GoTo Action and where I want it going too. A solution if this works for you, but unsure, is to make the GoTo action go up or down a step if there is an action that is added or removed between where the GoTo Action is and where it's looking. I don't know if this is possible but thanking for taking the time anyways to read this! :D
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: GoTo Action Made Dynamic

Post by Oleg »

I have always said that GoTo is potentially dangerous and even harmful. But users persuaded us to implement this functionality.
GoTo jumps to the step number. That's all. It doesn't know what the target is. It simply finds specified position and transfers the task execution to that point. Like in early versions of BASIC, when there were numbered lines
The user who wrote the task bears full responsibility for the integrity of the algorithm.

I strongly recommend that you get rid of the GoTo action in your tasks and use loops and "If Then" actions. This is a good task writing style.
Oleg Yershov
Zac

Re: GoTo Action Made Dynamic

Post by Zac »

Thank you for your reply, luckily for me the GoTo action hasn't done anything harmful for my bots as of yet. Thank you for your suggestion regarding the loops and "If Then" actions. I will look into incorporating more of those in an attempt to get around using GoTo.