Have RT working on remote server

Discuss RoboTask here
ja@capdev.net

Post by ja@capdev.net »

We just bought Robotask to automate some tasks on a remote server, that we administer with remote desktop connexion. We looked at the forum and understood that :
- we need to install RT as a service, what we have done,
- we need to go to RT-service to define our tasks but how can we access to RT-service ?? When we define our task in RT-desktop, they are not launched.
I can't believe we cannot have RT launching task on a remote server ???
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

When you use terminal server via remote desktop connectrion I recommend you to use RoboTask as simple application because of a few reasons:
- any services (including RoboTask) can't interact with desktop in teminal session. It's possible only from the local console session. It is a feature of Windows.
- you may use RoboTask as service, but only for fully autonomic tasks, which works without any interactive actions.

You can setup RoboTask service by ordinary way: menu Start -> All Programs -> Robotask -> NT Service -> Install service. But remember that RoboTask application and RoboTask service have different folders for own tasks.
Task folder for application is (by default):
"C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\RoboTask\Tasks\"

Task folder for NT service is (by default):
"C:\Program Files\RoboTask\Tasks\"

You can change these settings as you wish if needed. RoboTask service and RoboTask application can work together at a time.
ja@capdev.net

Post by ja@capdev.net »

Thank you for your answer.
However, how can I do to run my tasks on this remote server ? (given the fact that of course I can't have a session permanently open while I run this task). What is the solution ?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

You may start the task on remote server by Send command action.
See Send command action and Listener triggering event in Network group.
ja@capdev.net

Post by ja@capdev.net »

Sorry but I don't get it. Maybe, we did not buy the right product ?? We need an automate to schedule some tasks on a remote server, we are not looking for a desktop / personnal PC product. So what we need is to define some tasks with the RT interface, which seems fine, and then schedule them so they can run (mostly at night). Let's say we need to copy a directory to another every night, what is the process to setup this with RT ?? Thanks for help, we just bought this product among competitors and would like to use it :(
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Sorry, maybe, I have understood you incorrectly.
Do you want configure tasks of RoboTask service via terminal session? This is possible.
You must do the following:
1. Set the task folder for Robotask application to "C:\Program Files\RoboTask\Tasks\". I.e. to the same folder as RoboTask service.
2. When you want to edit set of task you must
   - stop the service,
   - edit (create or delete ) necessary tasks via RoboTask application.
   - And, at last, start RoboTask service again.

You can use the same copy of RoboTask for this. I remind you again that you should avoid interactive actions in this case, because they have no sense in service mode on terminal server.
You may freely use such events as scheduler, cyclic event, file monitor to automate your tasks.
ja@capdev.net

Post by ja@capdev.net »

I think I get it. Last question : when I set the tasks in RoboTask, with scheduler for instance, do I have to still enable it ?
ja@capdev.net

Post by ja@capdev.net »

and still another question : if, let's say, I have a task scheduled at 11:00pm, and I am remotely connected at 11pm, will it be launched ?? As a service or a task ? If so, if I loggout, will it kill the job ??
ja@capdev.net

Post by ja@capdev.net »

Actually I just want to make sure that if I am connected at the time a task is supposed to be lauched, it won't be launch twice (once as a service, and one thru RoboTask Desktop)
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

when I set the tasks in RoboTask, with scheduler for instance, do I have to still enable it ?
Yes, you need to enable the task. All triggers are stopped in disabled task. Thus, disabled task can be launched only manually. New task is enabled by default.
Actually I just want to make sure that if I am connected at the time a task is supposed to be lauched, it won't be launch twice (once as a service, and one thru RoboTask Desktop)
You can launch RoboTask-application manually only. Before editing tasks you should stop RoboTask service, otherwise editing has no sense. When you stop RoboTask (service or application) it waits of stopping launched tasks and you can stop (or terminate) these manually.