folder automation

Discuss RoboTask here
blaui

folder automation

Post by blaui »

Hi,
Just downloaded robotask trial in hopes it might be able to do something for me.....I can't seem to figure out how though.
What I would like is to have it monitor a directory for the creation of a new folder. The folder name will not always be the same. Once it recognizes that folder creation I would like it to go into that folder and launch an executable......
How would I go about doing that......Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brent

AlexeySurkis

folder automation

Post by AlexeySurkis »

Hello Brent,

Use the File Monitor triggering event. I created a sample task for you, download it here, then in the Robotask, select "Task | Import" menu command.
blaui

folder automation

Post by blaui »

Hi Alexy,
Thanks for the Sample but i am still having a few problems with it.
What i need to do once the new folder is identified is to go into one of its sub folders and copy a file to a new location.
When I try to modify the example you provided, it copies each folder to the destination individually.
Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Brent
Oleg
Site Admin

folder automation

Post by Oleg »

I'm afraid that I haven't understood what do you want to do. Describe in more detail please.
...the new folder is identified is to go into one of its sub folders and copy a file to a new location
if new folder will contain a subfolder then you have at least two new folders
blaui

folder automation

Post by blaui »

This is the scenario:
We have a build process that creates a new folder daily that contains several other folders and a setup file. The root folder that is created is always created in the same folder (the one that needs to be monitored) but always has a unknown name until it is created.
1. I need to identify when new folder is created, such as the original example provided did. (ie. C:\Temp\NewFolder)
2. I need to copy a file within a subfolder of the new folder to a specified location. (ie. C:\Temp\NewFolder\Sub1\Sub2\setup.exe)
The problem i have with the attempt i made is that all folders are being copied to the destination recursively.
(ie. When destination is c:\Temp2 the copy would coupy each folder to the destination: c:\Temp2\NewFolder, c:\Temp2\Sub1, c:\Temp2\Sub2, etc...
Oleg
Site Admin

folder automation

Post by Oleg »

Try to remove the scanning of subfolders in "File monitor".
See new example here

In previous example if you have a new folder with subfolders (i.e. C:\Temp\NewFolder\Sub1\Sub2\setup.exe) file monitor will detect of appearing of three new folders:
C:\Temp\NewFolder
C:\Temp\NewFolder\Sub1
C:\Temp\NewFolder\Sub1\Sub2

Thus you should prohibit the scanning of subfolders.