QUESTION about new interface of task editor

Discuss RoboTask here
Oleg
Site Admin

QUESTION about new interface of task editor

Post by Oleg »

Many users have been using RoboTask for a long time. Some users have been using RoboTask not too long ago.
Starting in version 9.0 we have changed the interface of the task editor. The main change is to merge the list of available actions and triggers with the list of task steps and task triggers.
Of course, we had to change some of the functions and interface of the editor window in a fundamental way.

My questions to our users:
Perhaps something in the task editor is not very convenient or not entirely clear. Could you write your thoughts on what can be improved or shortened for convenience?
Any suggestions are welcome, we will discuss them and write them down in our changelog.
Oleg Yershov
bgregory

Re: QUESTION about new interface of task editor

Post by bgregory »

In the task editor, it seems that the cutting and pasting operation doesn't always insert the line(s) in the expected place.
Example:
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
When the intention of cutting (or moving) Line 3 before Line 2, it sometimes moves it BEFORE Line 1. It's unpredictable. The cursor insertion
point is not always where you "expected" it to be.

2. When using IF/THEN/ELSE, the colors are helpful in determining where the code clauses begin and end but maybe bolding the IF/THEN/ELSE
would help in indicating where the clauses begin and end:
Example:
IF {A) = {B}
Do this
ELSEIF {B} = {C}
Do this
ELSE
Do this
END IF

3. Be able to view (not edit) a task while it is running. Currently this is not possible.

4. Show the taskID on the main screen in its own column. See below.
2022-10-07_9-05-14.jpg
2022-10-07_9-05-14.jpg (146.72 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

In the task editor, it seems that the cutting and pasting operation doesn't always insert the line(s) in the expected place.
When you paste one o several steps the editor always inserts steps after selected step.
If no steps are selected then editor put steps at the end of task.
When the intention of cutting (or moving) Line 3 before Line 2, it sometimes moves it BEFORE Line 1.
When you move a step (using the drag and drop method), the editor places the dragged step instead of the step where you drop it. Don't try to insert a step between steps. This will not work. Just drag it to the task step where you want to place it.

It works. I tested this again
Oleg Yershov
sarnusch

Post by sarnusch »

Good morning,
I think the question is very good because the interface has changed a lot.
I agree to user bgregory that the pasting operation has become a bit idiosyncratic.
In my opinion it would be great if RoboTask could show a small line for the target position when using Drag'n'Drop.

Topic 2 from user bgregory is also a good idea. Because a marked line also changes color and makes it a bit difficult to keep an overview of the steps.

Another big topic for me are the new icons. They are very big and bigger than the titles of the tasks ans steps. In older versions the icons have been smaller and I had a better overview of the steps in a task. Because of the icon, the line is twice as thick as it could be. That's why you see fewer steps in a task and you have to scroll very often.
Is it possible for the user to shrink the icons or to select the old icon set?
Here are two pictures for comparison:

edittaskactions.png
edittaskactions.png (66.6 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
robotask-1_1-1-2.png
robotask-1_1-1-2.png (54.35 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

They are very big and bigger than the titles of the tasks ans steps.
We have already reduced icon sizes in task editor. It will be in next release.
Oleg Yershov
sarnusch

Post by sarnusch »

Oleg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:36 am
They are very big and bigger than the titles of the tasks ans steps.
We have already reduced icon sizes in task editor. It will be in next release.
That sounds great! :)

I would like to add two more points:

1. When filtering a key word in the 'Filter' field steps are displayed correctly and I can activate and deactivate them quickly with the tick of the step.
But when I search for 'SMTP' for example and I want to change every SMTP-step (by double clicking the step) then the filter is resetted after closing the configuration window of the step with 'OK'. If I use 'Cancel' or 'Escape' the filter still exists.

2. The list position on the screen changes after confirming a step with 'OK' or after changing the position of a step with the buttons (Move selected step up/ down). That's pretty annoying because I always have to search the position again I was working on.
bgregory

Post by bgregory »

I agree with #2 above.