Trigger via network.

Discuss RoboTask here
Kappa1

Trigger via network.

Post by Kappa1 »

I have just downloaded the trial software and I am hoping that it could be helpful for what I believe is an unusual application which is as follows:
I wish to trigger an event (to start off with the downloading of a web page perhaps) when I open or access a file (jpeg image on the hard disk) this I have already achieved locally on the PC but what I want to do is the same thing via the network and to complicate this even more I want the access to be from a media hub (D-Link DSM-320), this unit can be used for viewing digital photographs, film or music stored on the local hard drive and played through the television and HiFi unit ( with the right software it can also view streamed video from the Internet), the idea being that I can then view web pages also (among other things) in more or less real time, I already have a workaround which uses a scheduler to download a given page at set intervals to a folder and then the scheduler runs a URL to .jpg conversion program which stores the result in a folder which is then accessed via the media hub, this works but cannot be triggered automatically from the media hub (one must wait for the allotted time for an update of the page to be downloaded). I think that this should be possible because the media hub must be opening the file on access via the network for it to be viewed and if the access via Robotask could trigger another action  for example the above viewing of a jpeg image then a whole new field of possibilities would be available for this kind of device.
I have tried  this with the same setting as when I view this file locally using the Window watcher function but nothing happens when accessing the file via the media hub and I have not found a function that I think is suitable yet.
 Could Robotask automate this?.
David W.

Trigger via network.

Post by David W. »

I just bought a DSM-320.  Your idea intrigues me and a thought.

What about working from web side and have your web pages (URL) converted when the web page changes?  Then you will always have up to date pages. 

There are utilities and web services out there that detect web page changes.  Then all you have to do is get one that you can signal RoboTask (perhaps via watch for file change) to run your task to download the webpage and convert it and put it where your media receiver can see it.

Kappa1

Trigger via network.

Post by Kappa1 »

In reply to David W.
Yes this could be done and the forums for media hub software have discussed this kind of solution but this it is not really what I am looking for, as you know these devices have limitations in the way of which formats they are able to support so what I am trying to achieve is to get the media hub to trigger a function by opening a file type that is supported.
An example would be something like the following, I can at present use a workaround I have developed to be able to listen to Real Audio radio channels (a format not presently supported by the media server software I use) by restreaming the stream using Windows Media Encoder and then using a VNC remote connection from a laptop in the living room to the server PC to start the stream via a shortcut on the desktop, not so elegant but it works, what I would like Robotask do is to monitor the opening of a file type that is supported, let us say a jpeg image file with perhaps a text something like "Please wait your stream is about to start" and trigger the start of the stream from the shortcut, this would cut out the need for the laptop and would allow the media hub to do the triggering instead (in a roundabout way via access to a  completely different file).
If this is possible then there are a great number of possibilities of using a media hub for streaming/viewing things it was not built for from the beginning.
So the bottom line is can Robotask by monitoring if a file has been opened via the network trigger another event?
Last edited by Kappa1 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.