User-specific settings configuration

Discuss RoboTask here
Lana_K

User-specific settings configuration

Post by Lana_K »

Hello,
Is there a way to configure Robotask in such a way that it used settings configuration, like tasks or logs location, based on which profile is logged in to the system?
In other words, if there is more that one profile on the same computer and each user stores their tasks/logs in separate locations, is there a way Robotask can start loading these settings based on the user profile/login?
Thank you.
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: User-specific settings configuration

Post by Oleg »

By default RoboTask keeps its tasks in user profile
By default this is the folder

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\RoboTask\Tasks\
logs in folder

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\RoboTask\Logs\
RoboTask service use the folders in ProgramData folder

C:\ProgramData\RoboTask\Tasks\
C:\ProgramData\RoboTask\Logs\
But you can change these folder as you wish.
For application mode use menu Options->Settings.
For Service mode open RoboTask Service manager, tab General settings
Please note that you have to move your tasks to new location manually.
Oleg Yershov
Lana_K

Post by Lana_K »

Thank you, Oleg, but unfortunately every day our organization wipes out user folders on the C: drive and keeps only the default empty folder structure. Have no idea why, but I can do nothing about it. So I cannot store my tasks on C: drive, I store them on N: drive. And, as you rightly pointed out, the default locations are set to read the tasks from C: So, each time I start Robotask in the morning I have to go to Settings, change the location of my tasks and then restart Robotask remotely from within Robotask using a quickly created task to restart Robotask (hope this makes sense, despite the complete idiotism of the situation). When Robotask restarts it reads the tasks from the correct location on N: drive. I cannot ask to make my path to tasks the default location because other profiles have different folder structure on N: drive. And I cannot ask to install Robotask on my local PC because then it will not have access to internal intranet locations which are only visible to Robotask under this awkward setup.
So, for other programs this problem is solved by having something like personalized .ini file which holds the information about all personal settings for the program, and a setting at start-up which tells the program to load all its settings from that personalized .ini file.
Does Robotask have anything like that? In other words, is there a file which holds all user settings and is there an option to point to this file at Robotask start-up to read in the settings from that individual file?

Sorry, I know that the whole explanation and the set-up sound absurd but apparently there is no better solution at my company level. And my licence is bought for me and Robotask is managed by my organization, so I have very little say in all this. About the only thing I can ask is to tweak start-up configuration if this is possible. Hence the above question. Thank you.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Right now I can advice this:

Suppose you have work folder in N:. For example N:\RoboTask
Set necessary parameters log and task folders. For example N:\RoboTask\tasks and N:\RoboTask\logs

Run REGEDIT system utility and export RoboTask Settings to file. For example N:\RoboTask\settings.reg
Registry key is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TaskAutomation\RoboTask
By the way you can create such task to export ALL parameters from time to time. Look at the action Export from Registry

Next: create CMD file. For example N:\RoboTask\restart.cmd

reg import settings.reg 
timeout /T 1
start "Robotask" "C:\Program Files\RoboTask\RoboTask.exe" /reset
When you log in into your work session do the following
  • Stop RoboTask. Unfortunately you have to do this manually, because RoboTask saves all parameters on exit.
  • Start restart.cmd by double click in file explorer
RoboTask will start with your saved settings

Unfortunately we can not propose any custom INI file, because RoboTask has not such function.
Oleg Yershov
Lana_K

Post by Lana_K »

Thank you very much for your help, Oleg. I will share your advice with the team that manages software configuration in our organization.