newbie question

Discuss RoboTask here
DraBS

newbie question

Post by DraBS »

Hi!

I want to make a task which reminds me to take breaks. The task is to be simple: run the screensaver for 1 min.every 40 min. It should be impossible to do anything on the computer before the screensaver ends.

My problem is that I do not know how to make Robotask "lock" the screensaver running within that minute. What I tried to do is add the "wait for process" action (as a process I designated <<C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrnsave.scr>>). But as soon as the screensaver starts and I move the mouse it disappears.

I have a similar problem with my backup task. I want to make a catalog file of my computer by means of a program for that purpose and copy the catalog file to a backup folder. I managed to make Robotask run the update command for the catalog file, but once the update starts it doesn't wait for the completion of the update and goes on with the execution of the actions which follow. I do not know how to make it wait. "Wait for process" doesn't work.

Thank you fo reading my post!

DraBS
Oleg
Site Admin

newbie question

Post by Oleg »

You can't lock screensaver, because this kind of programs react to mouse movements and keyboard. You can lock the console, but you must unlock it manually.
I have a similar problem with my backup task. I want to make a catalog ...
Do you have two independent tasks? There is Wait for Task action to synchronise tasks. This action waits for finishing of specified task.
"Wait for process" doesn't work.
Why? Wait for Process waits for finishing of separated process (for example archiver). Task is not a process, it's only a script. RoboTask processes actions in task within own process.
DraBS

newbie question

Post by DraBS »

Thank you for your reply. Well, maybe a new action "turn off the screen" could be added, if you find it useful, of course.

If you add actions "hybernate" and "wake from hybernation" one would be able to use Robotask as an alternative to the alarm clock software (no need to buy that one, too:))

As to the backup task, I do use "Wait for Task". The problem is that Robotask seems to treat the open window of the catalog pogram and the update of the catalog file as one and the same and I cannot know for sure how long it would take for the file to get updated (i.e. I cannot specify certain "wait for process" time.)

Thank you again,

DraBS
Oleg
Site Admin

newbie question

Post by Oleg »

If you add actions "hybernate" and "wake from hybernation" one would be ...
I'm afraid that "Wake from hibernation" is impossibe, because all processes are stopped while hibernation. Thus RoboTask can't send a signal of awakening at all.
I cannot specify certain "wait for process" time
You do not need specify exact waiting time. Timeout parameter is a maximal time. If the process doesn't finished within timeout, an error will be raised. Also you can choose infinity value of timeout. When specified process will done, your task will continue execution.
DraBS

newbie question

Post by DraBS »

The program "Alarm Clock Pro" <http://www.aquariussoft.com> does exactly that - wakes the pc from hibernation.