DOS App under a Service

Discuss RoboTask here
rmacioce

DOS App under a Service

Post by rmacioce »

I am running a DOS app as a service and am running into two problems.  The first is when the computer is logged off and the task runs, the dos app only gets to the dos app login screen and stops.  The balance of the task executes however.  It does work when the user is logged on.
The second problem occurs when I log back on when Robotask is setup to run as a service.  The icon in the system tray is no longer there as compared to when I had logged off previously.  I have to restart the Robotask service in order for the icon to appear again and to have access to the Robotask window.  When I go to restart the service, the Robotask service is running however, just not showing in the system tray.
How do I get the DOS app to continue to completion and the Robotask icon to be in the system tray when I log back on?
Oleg
Site Admin

DOS App under a Service

Post by Oleg »

What operating system are you using?
What application do you try to launch? Probably the problem is in specific features of this application.

How do you bypass login screen of application within user session?
rmacioce

DOS App under a Service

Post by rmacioce »

Operating System - Windows XP
DOS Application - Dataease
Bypassing Login Screen of DataEase - To my knowledge you cannot bypass the login screen.  If you are sending keystrokes to the program why would bypassing this screen provide any benefit?
It runs in a commmand window.  Would changing the properties of the window help?
rmacioce

DOS App under a Service

Post by rmacioce »

Correction
Operating System - Windows Server 2003
Oleg
Site Admin

DOS App under a Service

Post by Oleg »

Do you try to work in terminal session? Right?
Any NT service can't interact with desktop in terminal session. It's a property of Windows. Therefore, sending of keystrokes, mouse actions, and using of dialogs have no sense when you use RoboTask as service in terminal session.

I advise you to use RoboTask as simple application in terminal session for automation some interactive actions.
For RoboTask-service you can configure autonomic tasks, such as backup copy, synchronise some folders and others.
RoboTask-service and RoboTask-application can work at a time without problems.
rmacioce

DOS App under a Service

Post by rmacioce »

I setup the task and a time two minutes into the future for the task to run in a Windows Desktop connection to the Windows Server.  I then logged out of the server.  After the time passed the task should have been completed in, I used Windows Desktop to log back into the server and found the Dos app had been launched but none of the keystrokes programmed for the Dos app had been applied and the file delete, copy and rename steps had been completed.
Is this the type of condition you are stating will not work with Robotask service?
If not, how will it work with the non service version?  I do not see any login action you can put in the action list to then run the rest of the task in a logged in session.

Oleg
Site Admin

DOS App under a Service

Post by Oleg »

When RoboTask was started as NT Service you can see green tray icon. It never appear in terminal session (or in Remote Desktop), because NT service can't interact with terminal session.

To start RoboTask as application just use shortcut on desktop or in "Start" menu. You can see blue icon in system tray when RoboTask is started as simple application.

Regarding to "logged-in" sessions: When you lock console or disconnect from remote desktop, Windows ignores any keystrokes or mouse actions within this session. You can use these actions only in active session.
rmacioce

DOS App under a Service

Post by rmacioce »

I have managed to get the green icon to stay in the system tray when I log back in again, I do not know how.
I already understood the difference between the green and blue icons and how to starrt the two different versions.
Is there a "login" command like there is a "logout" command so I can have the task login and execute the actions requiring an active session?
Oleg
Site Admin

DOS App under a Service

Post by Oleg »

RoboTask haven't "login" action
rmacioce

DOS App under a Service

Post by rmacioce »

You need a login command.  If you cannot run this type of action under a service, you need some other way of attaining some kind of security by having the computer log itself on and off.   It seems unsafe to have an open server or workstation sitting around running a periodic unattended task.  Unless there is another way around this.