RoboTask not executing if logged off

Discuss RoboTask here
ZOBO

Post by ZOBO »

I installed RoboTask as service (double checked if it's running) on my Microsoft SBS 2003 server.
It does not execute any tasks if I log off.
Isn't the service suppose to execute tasks even if the user is not logged in?
Last edited by ZOBO on Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Yeah, this issue is bothering me too, and the documentation / help file isn't real clear on how this works. In one of the posts I read that the service has to be logged on as the system account and interact with desktop, but I haven't yet been able to get any Robotask job to run  a scheduled ..er ...task while not logged on. This seems so obvious to me I don't understand why it's not better documented.

Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

RoboTask must execute any tasks when you are logged-off.
When RoboTask service is started you can see green RoboTask icon in system tray. Do you see green icon?

RoboTask service has another default folder for tasks. May be, the problem in this?

In desktop mode the default folder is placed in your local profile (<Your profile folder>\Local Settings\Application Data\RoboTask\Tasks), but in NT-service mode, default folder is <RoboTask Folder>\tasks. You can see (and change) it in RoboTask settings (Menu | Optons | Settings)
ZOBO

Post by ZOBO »

I do not see the green icon, but I can see the service running. That could be, because I am using Win Terminal Service.
For clearification:
The RoboTasks Service uses a different folder than the folder setup through the interface in RoboTaks Settings (on my one they show D:\RoboTasks\Tasks and D:\RoboTasks\Logs). Correct?
ZOBO

Post by ZOBO »

I think I got the concept of RoboTask now.
The NT Service of RoboTask is an independent system - independent of the Desktop version.
I disabled the Desktop version (blue icon) and setup the same tasks in the green icon NT Service version of RoboTask.
I am currently testing and will report if it works as expected.
Thanks.
Last edited by ZOBO on Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZOBO

Post by ZOBO »

My first test results are positive. My sample task (adding a single line to a text file) was executed several times. No user was logged on to the server. It works!
I will switch on all over-night tasks now and hope they will be executed as expected.
I will let you know.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I do not see the green icon, but I can see the service running. That could be, because I am using Win Terminal Service.
"Interact with desktop" option make sense only for "default desktop". For terminal service it is local console. So, you can control any NT-services from desktop only on local console in Terminal Service. Remote desktop not allows to do it.
ZOBO

Post by ZOBO »

The over-night tasks did not run. I got all kind of errors.
I setup a task that runs a PHP script. If I execute (run) the task through the RoboTask window, everything works ok - the script gets executed.
If I schedule the task to run over-night at 1am, it is not executed and the php.exe comes back with all types of windows errors.
What is the difference between the manual start through the RoboTask Service window and the automatic ones?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Difference in accounts rights and system environment. Service works under system account but desktop applications is working under your account with your rights and environment.
In order to answer in more detail I need see these error messages. Can you send me?
leonkwan

Post by leonkwan »

I would like to have a confirmation, is it the Robotask cannot work in service that initiated in remote desktop? It is only workable for local desktop?