NT Service editor

Discuss RoboTask here
Brendan

NT Service editor

Post by Brendan »

Hi Oleg,
It's been a while, and for the most part everything has been working well.  The trouble that I have been having is that I cannot edit the NT-Service tasks.
In short, I have installed the NT service, and according to the task manager and the service manager it IS running, yet the green Robotask icon simply never appears in the system tray.  Without it, there is (it seems) absolutely no way to interact with the NT-version/module/mode Robotask. 
Of course I can build and run tasks forever in the regular version, but without being able to import them to (for lack of a better term 'green Robotask') they will never run without my logging in to system (on startup). 
So is there any way to start 'green robotask' or start Robotask in "Green Mode" aside from the system tray icon that refuses to appear?
Is there any way to GET the green icon to appear (obviously the NT service has to be running - but I can see it in service manager AND in Task Manager when all other instances of Robotask are exited). 
This is Windows XP pro (and an evaluation version of Robotask 2.1). 
My real Robotask version is running on Win 2K server and behaves similarly except that the green icon appears occationally in the system tray.  By creating a cyclical task on the Win 2K machine I've actually gotten the green icon to appear at each cycle.  So if I boot the machine, the icon will NEVER be there, but once the cyclical task runs, it magically appears and then remains for the duration of the Windows Session.
The difficulty with this WinXP staging machine is that the green Icon has NEVER appeared, so I've had no opportunity to add a cyclical task and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
-Brendan
Oleg
Site Admin

NT Service editor

Post by Oleg »

How did you install RoboTask Service? It is enough to click on menu Start | Programs | Robotask | NT Service | Install Service (or Reinstall Service).
Check RoboTask service properties at service manager.
"Startup type" must be Automatic; "Logon as" parameter must be Local system account and checkbox "Allow service with interact with desktop" must be turned ON.
I'm using RoboTask in service mode only on Win XP pro and have not encountered with troubles.
Brendan

NT Service editor

Post by Brendan »

Hi Oleg,
I think I tracked down my trouble.  I had initially installed Robotask (in demo mode) from a remote session.  I knew from our previous discussions that the Service Mode icon would not appear in a remote session on Win2K server - but I though that in XP pro (since you can ONLY have one session at a time, remote OR local) that the service (even if it didn't show up in the remote) would show up on the (physically local) desktop.  It didn't - until I rebooted the machine.  Still it will not show in a RDP session - but it DOES now show up on the local desktop, anyway.
Thanks,
-Brendan
Oleg
Site Admin

NT Service editor

Post by Oleg »

...- but I though that in XP pro (since you can ONLY have one session at a time, remote OR local) ...
You are mistaken. When in WinXP (pro or home) "Fast User Switching" mode is switched on, the operating system can serve a few sessions at once. (as in terminal service technology). In this case the default desktop (console) is a first logged session.
TimeTraveller

NT Service editor

Post by TimeTraveller »

Oleg wrote:How did you install RoboTask Service? It is enough to click on menu Start | Programs | Robotask | NT Service | Install Service (or Reinstall Service).
Check RoboTask service properties at service manager.
"Startup type" must be Automatic; "Logon as" parameter must be
Local system account and checkbox "Allow service with interact with
desktop" must be turned ON.
I'm using RoboTask in service mode only on Win XP pro and have not encountered with troubles.