File Monitor Problem

Discuss RoboTask here
bodurham

File Monitor Problem

Post by bodurham »

We are currently using the file monitor trigger to detect faxes that come in digitally to individual user folders.  When the client receives the message they go off to look at the new fax, then they rename it, and in some cases store it in another location or leave it in the current folder.
The file monitor triggers the task fine for new created files, but it also detects the renames of these files which in turn send multiple emails in the actions pertaining to this one fax.  Is there a way so it does not pick up the renames?
Oleg
Site Admin

File Monitor Problem

Post by Oleg »

Name of file is identifier of file. Therefore rename of file is equal to the following operations: delete file and create a new file with another name.
Your problem can be fixed so: new file you should move to another place from monitored folder (for example to folder "c:\buffer"). Next you can rename it and do some operations with this file.

You can monitor new files in folder \incoming. Next you should notify needed user and move the new file to folder \newfiles.
Folder \incoming may be closed from other users.
bodurham

File Monitor Problem

Post by bodurham »

Thanks for the quick reply, I've thought of just having the way the user works differently, but with a base of 30 users I can count on a user not understanding or not wanting to go through the extra step of moving the file to another directory.
I have been poking around a bit and am getting some luck out of looking at the filesize of the file detected by file monitor.  I am starting to see however that it may just be easier to create a temporary folder for the users for the receptionist to find out who the fax belongs to then move it into it.  From there robotask would detect the file, send the email, and move it to the actual location, but then that would create a lot more disk usage with the extra needed move of the file.
Actually, I think I will stick with the file size idea..  Too bad outlook just didn't support deletion of certain emails when they are deemed duplicate.
Last edited by bodurham on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodurham

File Monitor Problem

Post by bodurham »

Can I post the full code that I used to fix this, it is pretty long?  It's kind of the hard way around it, but what it does is determine the old size of the folder the files are in and compares them to the new folder size.  If they are different then it has not found a rename if it is not then it is a rename.
Oleg
Site Admin

File Monitor Problem

Post by Oleg »

If you do will check a folder size you may get another troubles.
Last edited by Oleg on Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.