Run As Service requires active session

Discuss RoboTask here
steve

Post by steve »

Nice product. However found problem automating events when scheduling to Run As A Service. Events do not seem to run unless an active session exists (i.e. you are logged on to the computer). If this could be overcome I could do wonders with this product. Is this a bug or a design feature?
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Are you sure that RoboTask is installed as service? It isn't installed by default.
You can install service "Start -> Programs -> Robotask -> NT Service -> Install Service".
"RoboTask - service" will be started every time when computer is turned on. You don't need logon.
In active session you can see green RoboTask icon (in tray). At caption of main window is written "(NT Service)".
"RoboTask - application" has blue icon.
steve

Post by steve »

Yes, running as a service (green icon). Just doesn't execute unless you log on. OS is WXP and am evaluating for automation of tasks on W2003 Servers.
Last edited by steve on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

"RoboTask-desktop" and "RoboTask-service" can be running simultaneously but they use different task folders (by default). In the RoboTask-service , select the "Options | Settings" in the main menu, and specify the same folder that is used in RoboTask-desktop.
Last edited by Oleg on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve

Post by steve »

Mmm. OK. I'll try this.
PS. Thank you for rapid repsonses.
steve

Post by steve »

OK. Found it. It's now doing what it's told. Thanks. I have unfortunately still been unable to achieve what I set out to becuase an element of the automated routine requries a SendKeys action to a desktop window. This form of interaction (as far as I am aware) must have an active session because it refers to an active window. This is not a problem with RoboTask, it's just the way it is.
There are a couple of products available that allow you to schedule an automatic logon/logoff to cater for this. If RoboTask were to facilitate this there wouldn't be much you couldn't do with it.
engineering

Post by engineering »

steve wrote: If RoboTask were to facilitate this there wouldn't be much you couldn't do with it.

Much agreed. Needs this feature badly for security adherence and general functionality.
mosler

Post by mosler »

steve wrote: There are a couple of products available that allow you to schedule an automatic logon/logoff to cater for this. If RoboTask were to facilitate this there wouldn't be much you couldn't do with it.

can youi link to a couple?