Version 10.0 breaks Task code from version 7.8.6

Discuss RoboTask here
Russman34

Version 10.0 breaks Task code from version 7.8.6

Post by Russman34 »

Hello,

I have been using a simple task that worked flawlessly created in RoboTask version 7.8.6 (Windows 10). It only involves 3 steps:
1. Run Program/Open Document
2. Send Keystrokes
3. Rename File

After upgrading to a new computer with Windows 11 and RoboTask 10.0.2, the same task code no longer works. I have spent a lot of time trying to debug to no avail.
Untitled copy.png
Untitled copy.png (192.02 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
I have attached a screen shot of this simple task and would appreciate it if someone could review the code and let me know how it needs to be changed to work in Windows 11 and RoboTask 10.0.2. Thank you.

Russell Cowgill
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Version 10.0 breaks Task code from version 7.8.6

Post by Oleg »

... it if someone could review the code and let me know ...
Where is the task code? I see screenshots only...

1-st step:
What application is opened with this command?
Be sure to insert a pause before sending keys. Your application most likely just does not have time to load properly.

2-nd step
Notepad in Windows 11 is very different from Windows 10 Notepad.
The new “Notepad” has tabs and can open multiple texts at the same time. It has built-it spellchecker.
And I can say that some keystrokes that worked before don't work in it. We have to adapt them (maybe put pauses or something else).
Sometimes it is easier to put the desired text to Clipboard (Put Text to Clipboard) and paste it into the current window (Paste from Clipboard)
Oleg Yershov
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

In my case, to get the old keystrokes to work in Win11 notepad, I had to increase the "Insert pause between keypresses" setting to 70ms.
See Send Keystrokes action (advanced tab).
Otherwise, incorrect text is displayed in the Notepad window.
Oleg Yershov
Russman34

Post by Russman34 »

Oleg,
Thank you for your replies. The application to be opened is Notepad. The differences between Win 10 and Win 11 was something I was not aware of. I will take your suggestions (particularly about using the Clipboard) into account and re-write the Send Keystrokes step to try and get the Task working properly. This will have to wait until Monday since I’ll be away from my computer until then. I’ll let you know if I have any positive results. Thanks again for your assistance.
Russell Cowgill
Russman34

Post by Russman34 »

Oleg,
I have spent several hours trying to get a simple task to work properly, but have not been successful. The task was to open a blank text file and insert the words "Hello World!". Notepad opens the file but then stalls without inserting the specified text. Strangely, the log file reports that the task has been executed successfully. I tried your suggestions of inserting a longer pause between keypresses and using the clipboard as the source for text insertion, but that did not make any difference. I have included relevant screenshots to illustrate my issues.

Any additional ideas or suggestions you may have that would allow for the proper execution of my simple task would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Russell Cowgill
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (132.52 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Last edited by Russman34 on Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Oleg Yershov