Position "Show Message" dialog

Post comments and suggestions for RoboTask here
adhunkins

Position "Show Message" dialog

Post by adhunkins »

I suggest to add ability to "Show Message" action to allow the position of the dialog to be specified. For those with multiple monitors, having the dialog appear in a designated location is helpful.
Lana_K

Re: Position "Show Message" dialog

Post by Lana_K »

I would like to support the suggestion. Sometimes I use 'Show message' to pause the task when user interaction is required and the message can obstruct something on the screen. When you are automating a repetitive job, the necessity to move the window out of the way many times per task reduces the efficiency of the automation.
photoevents

Post by photoevents »

I second that.
Like after a question about a photograph it blocks part of the image.

Christian
felipe

Post by felipe »

It is possible by creating another task that repositions when this window appears, you need to activate the trigger linked to the name of the window that will appear
Lana_K

Post by Lana_K »

Writing an extra task for repositioning the dialogue window would be OK if you are the only person using the task. But when you write a task to be used by your colleagues, who know very little about Robotask beyond how to press the Run button, on their machines, and then have to troubleshoot the tasks for them, it means asking them to import an extra task. And in such cases, trust me, you want reduce complexity, not add more :cry:
felipe

Post by felipe »

If you already share a task to import what difference is there to import one more?
Lana_K

Post by Lana_K »

Technically there is no difference. But experience shows that users will always find a way to mess things up. They can accidentally delete the extra task, they can delete and then re-import the task so it won't run - my imagination is not powerful enough to predict all possible scenarios user can make life of tech. support "interesting". So, the fewer risks there are, the easier my life is :)
adhunkins

Post by adhunkins »

felipe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:39 pm It is possible by creating another task that repositions when this window appears, you need to activate the trigger linked to the name of the window that will appear
This is a great workaround.

But I think there are certain functions that would be cleaner to have built into RoboTask.

There are many functions that you "could" patch for RoboTask using RoboTask. For example, RoboTask could have NO HOTKEYS (not even copy/paste) and you would have to build RoboTask hotkey triggers/tasks for any/all functions you wanted to activate with the keyboard rather than a mouse click. But why? I think the app should have common/useful actions built into the product even if it's theoretically possible to build a patch in RoboTask. ...just my 2 cents.
felipe

Post by felipe »

Lana_K wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:13 am Technically there is no difference. But experience shows that users will always find a way to mess things up. They can accidentally delete the extra task, they can delete and then re-import the task so it won't run - my imagination is not powerful enough to predict all possible scenarios user can make life of tech. support "interesting". So, the fewer risks there are, the easier my life is :)
I've created a task that automatically downloads multiple tasks from the repository, updates them, and then restarts.
adhunkins

Post by adhunkins »

felipe wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:48 pm
Lana_K wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:13 am Technically there is no difference. But experience shows that users will always find a way to mess things up. They can accidentally delete the extra task, they can delete and then re-import the task so it won't run - my imagination is not powerful enough to predict all possible scenarios user can make life of tech. support "interesting". So, the fewer risks there are, the easier my life is :)
I've created a task that automatically downloads multiple tasks from the repository, updates them, and then restarts.
Wow. Now, that's dedication. ;)