Newbie Needs HELP, plz help me!!!

Discuss RoboTask here
zodemere

Post by zodemere »

First off I want to say that I've download about a dozen tast schedulers, macro schedulers, and macro recorders.  Robotask seems to be the one for me because I really like the interface and I love the trigger options especially the run task when it detects internet disconnection which brings me to my question....

I'm trying to use Robotask so that when my Netzero dialup internet connection is lost then Robotask will run my Netzero software and click the connect button (netzero doesn't allow DUN otherwise i wouldn't be here asking these questions).  With most other proggies I'd just use a macro that would record me double clicking the Netzero Icon and waiting the appropriate amount of time for the software to load and then clicking the connect button.  But as far as I can tell Robotask does not do macro recordings and i don't think it can run a macro that was created by another program (am i wrong??).  And I can see how to set my trigger of running Netzero when my internet disconnects but I don't know how to tell Robotask to wait for X amount of seconds and to then click the connect button and then to wait and see if I have a internet connection and if not to run Netzero again but if the connection is good then to keep checking indefinately.  sorry i'm such a newbie but any help would be mucho appreciated!!!  lates!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I think you need make your task like this:
1. Launch "Netzero software" (Action "Run Program/Open Document")
2. Wait a few seconds (Action "Pause")
3. Send keystroke to window of "Netzero software" such as "Enter" or "Alt-<key>" combination. Most applications allows you to use key combinations instead of mouse clicks. (Action "Send Keystrokes")

You may check internet connection by "Ping" action
zodemere

Post by zodemere »

Thanks Oleg but I don't get how to get this thing to work because I'm such a noob when it come to macros.  Does anyone else have any suggestions and can anyone give me some more specific info about how to write my task? Also once again, does Robo allow you to run Macros that were recorded by other proggies?
Last edited by zodemere on Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Long

Post by John Long »

I recorded a macro with a program called power zip that zips file automatically every time the saved macro file is executed. I put an entry into a bat file to run the zip macro and then I set robotask to run this bat file every 3600 seconds. It runs as a background task. Can't give any real specific info but I can say I wish there was a manual for robotask somewhere. Hope this is of some help to you.
zodemere

Post by zodemere »

nope, sorry but that didn't help.  Thanks though!!  Help from the moderators of this forum would be appreciated!
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

Send me screenshot of Netzero, please. I'll try to write a task for you. My email is oleg @ robotask.com
Last edited by Oleg on Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zodemere

Post by zodemere »

Oleg, okay i've sent you a screen shot of Netzero.  I still don't get why Robotask doesn't have a built in Macro Recorder so that it could record my mouse movements and clicks.  Or is there a way that Robotask could run a pre-recorded macro by a diferent program?  Anways, thanks again man!!
John Long

Post by John Long »

I said that I ran a pre recorded macro that was written by another program with robotask. If you can save a macro to a file that can be ran at the command line you can have robotask run it from a bat file.
Last edited by John Long on Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
zodemere

Post by zodemere »

Yo John thanks, so i get it, if i have a macro that is saved as a exe file then i can get robotask to run it.  Still wish it had a macro recorder of it's own but this might do.  So now how do i get Robotask to loop this task over and over again so it willl run the exe file everytime my internet disco's?
John Long

Post by John Long »

That is where the issue of not having a manual for the software comes in. Hypothetically speaking, would you pay more for the software if there was a detailed manual available? I would. The help file is too basic. Hopefuly someone knows the answer. There is a ping host action that you might possibly use, I don't know what the variables are that you would set and use to launch another task.