Task to log-in to Server via Remote Desktop Computer

Discuss RoboTask here
waldo

Task to log-in to Server via Remote Desktop Computer

Post by waldo »

From a Windows 7 PC, I need to create a task to login into a server on the network via Remote Desktop Computer. Once logged-in to this server, I need to run an exe program, wait 90 seconds and then disconnect from the server. I am struggling on how to do this with RoboTask. Can you help me? Thank you. Jim
Rukbunker

Re: Task to log-in to Server via Remote Desktop Computer

Post by Rukbunker »

Where are you stuck precisely?
waldo

Post by waldo »

Just how to get started....How do I automatically start remote desktop from my Windows 7 computer, then automatically log-in. Now the remote desktop screen is "open"....how do I send commands or key strokes to the "open" remote desktop screen? I am just wondering if RoboTask can do all of this?
Rukbunker

Post by Rukbunker »

Start and run the command "mstsc", just in Windows. Make sure you configure every setting your like and press "Save as". Make sure you save the password when asked.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
Now you can start the "RDP" file with Robotask by running a command.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.67 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (4.56 KiB) Viewed 11752 times

When the task is executed, the RDP is started automatically. I've tested it without any problems.
waldo

Post by waldo »

Thank you for your kindness...This will get me started----and I would not have ever solved this without your kindness to share your knowledge. Thanks again. Jim
Rukbunker

Post by Rukbunker »

Any time! When you're stuck let me know ;)
waldo

Post by waldo »

Rukbunker, thanks again for your help. I am stuck again.

I have successfully completed what you gave me, but now I need help to run the exe file on the server that is accessed via remote desktop computer. When I create a second task after the remote desktop task has fired, I list the path C:\\Tm Elite Link\Tm Elite Link.exe---but this command appears to do nothing---my uneducated guess is that the Robotask is trying to find this path and exe file on my local desktop--which does not exist. How can get Robotask to "know" that this task is to be executed in the remote desktop environment? Once this exe is run, the final task is move .txt files from one directory to another and then close the remote desktop session.

I tried sending keystrokes to the remote desktop connection and this did work once---but my problem is that other employees also access this server, so the screen will not always open at the same location (i.e., today someone disconnected and left windows explorer open---so all my keystrokes did not execute properly since the screen was different than when I programmed the send keystroke tasks.

I have only ever used Robotask on my local computer...so this idea of accessing a remote server and trying to execute a couple of simple tasks when done manually has been difficult but I am learning allot.

Thanks again,
Jim
Rukbunker

Post by Rukbunker »

First you have to be sure that the focus is on the RDP session itself.
Then (and that's what I personally think it's the best), make a shortcut on the desktop of the RDP session which refers to your command. Make sure this icon is always in the same position so you can point your mouse at. What you also do is change the icon of the shortcut to 1 color icon (completely white for example) and let the pixel do the work for you.

Instead of creating an icon, also (as you've mentioned) the keystrokes can be used which CAN be safer. However, my experience is that icons are loaded more quickly and the keyboard responses are not always responding as fast as Robotask is programmed. Or...increase the delays between the keystrokes. Sometimes this has to do with Windows itself which is loading stuff in the background and then keypresses gets less priority.

When someone disconnects instead of logging off.....yeah...that's a "human" issue which should not be solved technically I guess. Idea is maybe that you connect to the console instead of a terminal session.

While I'm writing this....do you logon with a specific user account? Because....you can also schedule a task on the server itself that executes when you (= Robotask) logs on. Then you don't need all this above.

Most important is always : make sure you always connect to the RDP with the same resolution (my opinion: not full screen). That SHOULD be saved in RDP file which you have created. Also the RDP window itself should be in a fixed location which you can settle with this.