black rectangle instead of a window snapshot when screen off

Discuss RoboTask here
leopoldus

black rectangle instead of a window snapshot when screen off

Post by leopoldus »

Hi,

I am trying to use Robotask to make snapshots of the specific application window on my laptop (Window 7 Pro, 64). Also I use Windows "Power saving" native functionality, including the option to turn off the display after the specific period of inactivity (I suppose the most laptops users use this feature today). The problem I met is that I get always (yes, it is not an accidental glitch!) a flat black rectangle instead of the target window in output files (file size is about 2,0 KB) while the display is in off mode. :o I thought that there can not be any connection between a snapshot and the display current status, but actually it is for sure.

It does not apply to every program, there some few exceptions. Say, Windows Notepad window is always snapshoted and saved correctly. But the most user applications I've tested including some Chromius-based and other browsers, are the subject of this dependence.

Could anybody comment it or at least would anybody so like to confirm or contest my observations?

Thanks!
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: black rectangle instead of a window snapshot when screen

Post by Oleg »

Unfortunately Window Snapshot action capture the image of some windows as black rectangle. These windows of cross-platform applications such as Chrome, Mozilla Thunderbird. Also applications with METRO interface
But there is some trick. Screenshot action take a snapshot correctly in any case.
You can mage necessary window active (look at Window Command action) and take a snapshot of the screen.
Oleg Yershov