Best practices with source control

Discuss RoboTask here
wbyford

Best practices with source control

Post by wbyford »

We develop our RoboTask tasks on a local developer's machine. Then upload and run them on a network process server using both the application and the service. I would like to be able to update a task without importing it again. Is there a best practice on doing something like this? We will also be using TFS for source control. What are your suggestions for managing the development lifecycle for these tasks?
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Best practices with source control

Post by Oleg »

You have to export and import changed tasks on other computers.

Also you can simply copy and paste tasks remotely (by using client-server function)
  • - Just connect to remote RoboTask
    - select local task and press Ctrl+C (copy task to clipboard)
    - Select remote folder, and go to the task list
    - press Ctrl+V (paste the task to the list)
Copy-Paste method works with remote tasks in the same way as with local tasks

Client-server feature is available for business license
Personal license allows only local connection. For example connect to local RoboTask service
Oleg Yershov
wbyford

Post by wbyford »

Oleg - thanks for the quick response. We do have 2 business licenses. One is on my machine as the developer. The other is on our process server. If I understand, I can just copy the local task (designated by a random 8 character alpha-numeric name) and paste it into the task folder on our server. And then we just keep the task files in our source control.
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

I say it again: it's better to import task from a file or copy-paste the task from local machine to remote RoboTask.
In this case RoboTask makes necessary corrections automatically.
Of course you can import tasks from local files to remote RoboTask too. The connection with remote RoboTask is absolutely transparent. You can manage remote tasks like local tasks
...a random 8 character alpha-numeric name...
No. The name of the task file is the task ID as hex-decimal string. The name of file and task ID must be equal in the task folder.
...and paste it into the task folder on our server...
No. If you simply copy task files into tasks folder this has no effect at all, because all tasks are in memory when RoboTask works.
You have to stop RoboTask first.
Oleg Yershov