REST API calls using ONLY Robotask

Discuss RoboTask here
Lana_K

REST API calls using ONLY Robotask

Post by Lana_K »

Hi,
Is it possible to send REST API calls using Robotask but without opening Postman or browser add-ons? I managed to automate REST calls using Robotask and YARC Chrome add-on, but it is inconvenient and flaky. Does anyone know any other way?

Thank you in advance.
Lana
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: REST API calls using ONLY Robotask

Post by Oleg »

Implementation of REST API functions is in our ToDo list. But RoboTask has not such actions yet.
But there is a solution:
Now you can use command-line utility cURL.EXE with Run Console Application action. The action can catch the output into variable and you can process it.
Also cURL.EXE can save result to a file. You can read it in RoboTask and process it.

See quick info here and here. Now cURL.exe utility is included into Windows system utilities
Here you can get the latest version of cURL.exe for Windows
Oleg Yershov
Lana_K

Post by Lana_K »

Thank you, Oleg, for the very useful links and interesting suggestion. I have not heard of curl, so need to read about it and experiment with it - the tool seems helpful for my job.

I am very glad to hear that this functionality is on your ToDo list. Any ideas approximate timeframe when will it be implemented?

I will definitely try your suggestion, just want to remark that the reason I love Robotask is because it makes any task quick and intuitive to customize and combine into any chain/script without learning many other skills. When using external solutions like curl requires extra learning. So, even if I implement curl into my Robotask tasks, I will still be waiting for built-in REST functionality. Having been using Robotask for few years now, I trust REST will be as simple to use and user-friendly as all other Robotask's built-in functionalities.
Lana_K

Post by Lana_K »

After several hours of learning and experimenting I managed to successfully send a GET call, both directly from cmd and from Robotask, using curl. But all POST and PUT calls, unfortunately, failed with cURL (failure has nothing to do with Robotask).
So, I'd rather wait for this feature to appear in Robotask with user interface.
gdawson

Post by gdawson »

Hello - Just wanted to see if there has been any update to RoboTask to handle API calls.
jpch

Post by jpch »

Any feedback regarding if the API calls are already working using only Robotask?

If they start working I will go ahead and update my licenses to the newer version. I have been waiting for a long time for this !

Thank you
Oleg
Site Admin

Post by Oleg »

In any case you can download and try RoboTask yourself in trial mode. It works without restrictions during trial period (30 days)
You will get new trial period if your update subscription is over. You can revert to your current version at any time if needed.
Oleg Yershov